Rhubarb wine.




I have for a long time now wanted to have a go at making my own wine.  I tried once to make my own cider and produced what could be called quite a lot of cider vinegar.  But apart from that I have never tried to make any more . When I had my allotment, I always had plans to make some with all the produce that was never consumed but never did it either.  The closest I have ever come to making my own is reading the recipes in a book called drink your own garden By Judith Glover.  That and consuming other home made wine but never mad any of my own.

So to try and inspire me, and anyone else who might want to do the same, in to action I am posting this recipes from the book to see if it shakes me into action.

You will need

2.3kg/5lbs rhubarb stalks
1.4kg/ 3lbs sugar
453g/ 1ld raisins
The juice of 3 lemons
1 Camden tablet
½tspGrape tannin
28g/1oz Precipitated
Chalk
Water
Wine yeast
Yeast nutrient

Take your rhubarb stalk and cut them in to length put them in a pan and then crush them with a mallet.

Cover with 3.4lt/6pt of cold water and then add the crushed Camden tablet and let it steep for 48 hours.

Strain of the liquid and then press the pulp to extract as much juice as possible.

Stir in the Precipitated and the chalk, this will fizz but keep stirring until the fizzing stops.  Let the chalk settle to the bottom of the vessel.

Now siphon the clear liquid of the chalk deposit and make back up to 3.4lt/6pt with cool boiled water.

Heat another 1.1lt/2pts water to dissolve the sugar bring to boiling point. When the syrup is cool, add this to the other liquid with the resins, lemon juice, grape tannin, wine yeast, yeast nutrient.

Cover and leave in a warm place to ferment for five days stirring twice every day.

Strain the liquid in to a fermenting jar, close with dung with an air lock and leave to ferment on then rack when the wine becomes clear. Then once wine has stopped fermenting bottle, and store in a cool place for 6 months

One day I will make this and in the late autumn, I will sit want watch the leaves turn brown and drop to the ground while I drink the taste of early spring, one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A recipe for perfect Yorkshire pudding

The Era Of Ultra-Premium Sipping Vodka - Discover The Ultimate Luxury Of British Made Quintessentially Vodka

Apple duff.