What is all the fuss about food?




The other day I sat and looked at the screen and just wonder what I could write.  It was a moment of writer block I suppose as nothing came to me. And then I began to question what it was that I was doing.  If the truth were told, I am a frustrated writer who would like to be a novelist or poet. And if that is the case then why not write that book that you have inside, it could be the next Ulusses and me the next James Joyce .  That is what great literature is all about and food is well, its just food, it goes in one end and out of the other, fuel to keep you going.  But to think like that is that not to bite the hands that feeds you, but why keep a blog.

Why would I, or any one for that matter, find the time to sit down and just do a thing like this.  A blog about food, what is all the fuss about.  Is there a need for yet another person who will bang on about the perfect soup , roast chicken ,  grilled turbot or salad.  Is there a need for this I have been asking myself.  The answer is probably not.

If the truth be told we have now a massive industry of cook books television stations and any number of food based publications that seem to infiltrate our lives.  Along with all the blogs and web sites that devote them selves to the subject as well.  You could go as far to say the whole thing has reached a saturation point.

So why bother, it is the old question that I ask my self.  Why put out another recipes or fact about any thing that might be in the slightest interest in food wine or any thing related to that.

Well it is what I know and it is what I do, in fact, it has been the way I have earned a living for the past 20 years or more. It is some thing that we all get involved with at least once a day in one form or another and no matter how much you hate or love food every one I have ever known has had a favourite thing to eat or has expressed an opinion on what they do or do not like.   

And the range of the subject from classic to novella and modern, fusion and ethnic , organic , G.M. , heath food and good old fast food.  And in that I only scratch the surface. Alan Davison a famous but rather unknown food weightier spent a whole book dedicated to trifles, that is the dessert and not trivial matters. You can get books on vinegar, oil, one select region of wine and mushrooms to name but a few.

The truth is that to say I could only hope to scratch the surface with what I am doing, it is so eclectic, and random I would never hope to cover the full in-depth background to any of the recipes and subjects. This I know and this is another good reason to not do this blog.

So why do it well I will tell you , I enjoy doing it and find the act of blogging increases the knowledge and awareness of food all the time. I do not want to just to things for the foodie food lover who must have the best and nothing more , who will force there opinion upon you about the glory of real cheese when most of us have some cheese that we purchased in a plastic rapper in the fridge.

I want to engage every corner of the subject and bring it together to see and show every one what I have discovered and what I have found out.  Facts such as Napoleon never spent more than twenty minutes on any meal, That there is no blue food but the flesh of a toucan is apparently blue and E904 is shellac the same thing you use in French polishing.   

Is food a art form I do not know, do you live to eat or eat to live, who can tell.  Food and drink can define who we are and what we do; it is a cultural and economic indicator.  Food and drink can define who you are and where you are from , nationally and regionally .  We use it to celebrate grate occasions and rights of passage.  Evan wars have been lost on the lack of it .

So if a subject is so rich, deep, and full of stores of those how have gone before are still in it now and those who have yet to come.  Of so many recipes and facts, products and ingredients that I will be blogging for some time to come .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A recipe for perfect Yorkshire pudding

The Era Of Ultra-Premium Sipping Vodka - Discover The Ultimate Luxury Of British Made Quintessentially Vodka

Apple duff.